Our most frequently asked questions

Am I registered to vote?

-Not sure if you’re registered? You can call our office at 423-753-1688 or check online at https://tnmap.tn.gov/voterlookup/ 

How old do I have to be to register to vote?

18 years old

Do I have to be a resident of Washington County to vote in Washington County?

Yes, you must register to vote in the county in which you reside.

I was registered in another county in Tennessee; can I just change my address?

When you move from one county to another in the State of Tennessee, you must reregister in the new county you currently reside in. 

I own property in Washington County but do not live in the county; can I still vote in Washington County

No, because Washington County does not have property rights voting.

Can I vote if I have a felony on my record?

The Tennessee legislature may deny the right to vote to persons convicted of “infamous” crimes.  However, there are procedures in place that you can complete to regain your voting rights.   


What form of identification is required when voting?

Even though you do not need your voter registration card to vote, you do need one of the following:  

  • A valid Tennessee Driver License with your photo 
  • A valid identification card issued by the State of Tennessee, or the United States where authorized by law to issue personal identification; such identification card must contain a photograph of the voter 
  • A valid United States passport 
  • A valid employee identification card issued by the state of Tennessee or the United States.  Identification card must contain photograph of the voter or,  
  • A valid United States military identification card containing photograph of the voter 
  • Tennessee handgun carry permit with your photo 

Can I use my school’s Student ID as a form of photo identification?

This form of photo ID is NOT acceptable

What if I do not bring a photo ID to the polling place?

If you are unable to present a photo ID but your name appears on our voter signature list or poll book, you are entitled to vote a provisional ballot.  You will then have two (2) business days after Election Day to present a valid photo ID to your county’s election commission office: 

Old Jonesborough Courthouse 

100 E Main St 

3rd Floor 

Jonesborough, TN 37659 

What if I do not have a photo ID?

You can receive a free photo ID to vote from the Department of Safety and Homeland Security 


Can I change my party affiliation?

In Tennessee you do not register under a certain party.  However, during a primary election you must chose your ballot corresponding to the party affiliation you wish to vote for. 

How do I request an absentee ballot if I am in the military or overseas?

How do I request an absentee ballot?